Winterize Your Bike
Winterize your bike!
If you are not going to continue to ride your bike this winter, it might be a good idea to consider a few tips on storing your bike so that it is ready when you are for the 2015 bicycle season.
- Deflate the tires so they are soft and not at full pressure. This allows for more flexibility and reduces dry rot. Do not take all the air out. Set the PSI so that the tire is soft and squishy to the touch.
- Clean the bike with a mild detergent. I also apply a light coat of wax for better protection against moisture, dusts and dirt. Dry it off good to remove all moisture after the wash. Moisture can create rust build up.
- Coat the chain and other moving parts with a quality bicycle oil. Do not use WD-40. Use just enough to apply a light coating this helps prevent moisture and rust buildup.
- If you have brake releases, release them to allow less tension on the brake cables and springs.
- Store the bike inside where it is warm and dry. Even a garage can get extremely cold and be prone to moisture from dew and condensation
- Hanging the bike up off the ground would be best, but if not try placing it upside down or wheels toward the sky, this allows for better protection against a cold floor and prevents the tires going out of shape or cracking from sitting in the same spot for a prolong period of time. A nice hanging bike can be a work of art.
- Since you are not using your bike this is the best time to have it tuned up, overhauled or have any repairs that may have developed from last years riding season. At Wheelies we are offering a 15% discount on all Tune-ups, Services and Accessories now till March 1, 2015. Plus we come to you with convenient pick up and delivery. We can even do the winterizing for you so your bike is ready to roll when you are. For more information go to www.wheeliestore.com
Love your bike but to cold to ride! Wheelies Bicycles also offers Classes on bicycle repair. Class is offered on January and at the Wheelies Shop. Private classes are available in home by advance reservation only (price varies). Reservations are required as spots fill fast! Click the link below to find out more and read our brand new road bike shoes review.
Reservations can be made by phone or email.
176 Route 70
Medford, NJ 08055